Chef Baron's signature dishes include jumbo lump crab au gratin, soft shell crabs, duck with green peppercorn-brandy cream, angel hair pasta with lobster, and creme brulee.
In recent years, the addition of original oil paintings by artist Wes Shaw, Chef Baron's father, has greatly enhanced the natural charm of the Ferndale. To view examples of his fine impressionist work, visit http://www.wesshaw.com.
Records tell us the Ferndale Inn predates 1827, when it may
have been a
private residence. This original building, only one-third the current
size, was sold in 1830 for $1,275 and for the first time opened as a
A major expansion was undertaken in 1862, as indicated by the stone marker clearly visible at the peak of the western wall. Prior to 1900, when the business was called the Ferndale Hotel, it was further enlarged to the rear, and finally, the front dining room was added circa 1925.
Located along the highway (present day Rt. 611)
from Philadelphia to Easton, the hotel was a logical stopping point for
road-weary travelers eager for a meal and a comfortable room. The
electric trolley, which operated from 1897 to 1926, carried passengers
the county seat at Doylestown to Easton and the coal regions of the
Lehigh Valley, with a stop in the Village of Ferndale. The trolley
Old Easton Road; the tracks ran just a few steps from the back
Patrons of the inn would not have been restricted to travelers, of course. Local folks of all sorts - villagers, farmers, workers from the numerous small shoe factories - would have enjoyed the camaraderie of a central meeting place. Libations at the bar, a hot meal, catching up on local news, politics, and just plain gossip were the order of the day for nearly two centuries. Although overnight lodging was discontinued sometime before 1940, the Ferndale, where Chef Baron has worked her magic for the past 25 years, has continued to thrive as a restaurant through today.